Last weekend I got an opportunity to speak about Web based virtual reality at Fossasia-2017, one of the asia’s largest open source conference. My first talk at a conference outside India was also at Fossasia-2015 where I spoke about Webmaker tools and How individuals can become web makers from being just web users.
Fossasia-17 was organized at science center, Singapore and it was one of the amazing conference with diversified participants from different countries, backgrounds, domains, age groups etc.
I spoke about “Creating your Pokemon world in Web based Virtual Reality”. You can find the recording here. This is my first talk about WebVR and it was pretty exciting for me that my first talk about WebVR is at an International Conference. You can find my talk slides here.
We had a busy booth with 100’s of diversified people visiting us everyday and sharing their thoughts about what they loved about WebVR and how could they use this technology in their domain and make things happen. When someone asks me about what they could do with WebVR then I would say ‘Sky is the limit’. A chemistry professor visited our booth and gave us a usecase of how he could use WebVR to teach his students about 3D projection of chemical compounds, which I never thought of.
Science center was similar to Science museum in Hyderabad except with advanced equipment and a lot more interesting projects. I loved being their and experiencing most of them especially the VR experience room where you could fly over a city and ride a 4D roller coaster with VR headsets.
and Yeah this is our team of Mozilla Tech Speakers who participated in Fossasia.
and This is whole of Fossasia volunteers, speakers, workshop wranglers.
What I learnt?
- Carry as many name cards as you can when you go for a conference
- Make a QR code board which redirects the participants to the link of the demo you are showing at the booth ( WebVR in this case )
- Prepare a lot more content than you are actually supposed to deliver. You never know when your 25min talk will change to a 1 hr workshop.
- Talk to Dietrich whenever you find him, You will learn a lot
- Check the hotel Checkin/Checkout timings and book accordingly
And Yeah! It was a lot of fun being at Fossasia. B-)
Thanks for reading.